Note, this concept is about the implementation of creating configuration via a file, whereas the format of the files is concepted here:Concept - Readable config files
Developers like working with files and have a lot of familiarity with tools and workflows there. It would be a benefit if configuration could be worked on the same as resources, templates and code.
In the ConfigByX document we explore the benefits of a "Volatile Configuration" over bootstraps that persist configuration to the repo. ConfigByFile is how non-java developers can take advantage of this. It also has the benefit of a clean heirarchical format.
Why does a developer prefer to work on resources and templates as files (in an ide or nice text editor) rather then in adminCentral?
|Easy to find|
Everything in context
Anyone can access and change running instance
Multiple files at a time
- Config Files must have clean, human readable syntax (Not JCR “system view”) Maybe xml like "JCR document view", json, ...
- Configuration in files are "applied" at every system start and ideally every time a file changes via observation.
- AdminCentral can export this file format from existing JCR or "active configuration".
- Note: We'll have to implement BeanBuilders for the chosen format
- Node2Bean might be reused to some extend