Magnolia contributors are kindly request to follow these simple conventions below:
- Standard Java coding conventions (download the PDF, because the HTML version is very badly formatted in some places)
- Tab policy: spaces only
- Indentation: 4 spaces
- Maximum line width: 120 (no strong rule here - don't put exceptions declarations on new lines just to respect this, for instance)
- We preferably don't use abbreviations in classnames (only exception to that rule is MgnlSomething)
- Read http://dev.magnolia-cms.com/~gjoseph/on-code-readability
Also ensure that you have the right license headers in place !
See the file attached for Eclipse Preferences (which you can simply import and everything should be done - don't forget to set Preferences>Java>Code Style>Code Templates>Automatically add comments...).
- Code Templates
.. or see Checkstyle for Eclipse. (similar instructions apply for IntelliJ)
- Class-level documentation is mandatory.
- First sentence of any Javadoc comment must finish with punctuation. (This is/was needed for summary pages/tables to include the first sentence next to the described element)
- See http://dev.magnolia-cms.com/~gjoseph/on-code-readability