Make these easy, fast, clear, powerful to implement:
1. Introduce the ability to supply logical expressions which can use the values of other fields in order to determine the state on a field.
Maybe expressions are indicated by parenthesis.
Maybe expressions would also have access to some context such as the current user group and role, so that some fields would only be visible or enabled to certain user roles.
2. Consider ways to augment fields, potentially with Java, that do not require creating brand new fieldTypes. Creating fieldTypes is harder, slower & less transparent then augmenting a fieldType with some custom behaviour.
ie enabled, visible, label, buttonLabel, options
Would we need to add additional properties like enabledClass, visibleClass....?
The enabled property can take a logical expression as well as a simple boolean value.
A field is only visible on a form, if the "visible" expression evaluates to true.
Could also be called "present" instead of "visible".
Expand the regexp validator to be able to operate not just on the current field, but to include values from other fields.
Introduce a new "expression" validator which can take a logical expression, and which can include values from other fields.
By placing at the field level, devs would have control of where validation messages and hilights appear.
Dynamic Label & Dynamic Button Labels
For example this can be used with a Static field, to provide a label that reacts to things selected in other controls.
"This combination of herbs soothes your mind and promotes concentration".
Populate the options of a selectbox, set of radiobuttons, or twincolumn select, based on the value of other fields.
We provide some out-of-the-box modes where no custom coding is required, but also make it easier for developers to fulfil this use case with a minimum of coding for more custom use cases.
dynamicSelect Field and optionModel Class
Options list is empty until the "optionModelArguments" fields have values.
Out-of-the-box fields based on a heirarchy of nodes. (Possibly JCR bound.)
introduce two new dynamic field types:
A link field which gets its workspace from another field.
A selectbox which gets its options based on a parentNode from another field.
By default it only returns the immediate children.
Note: Can we make this ContentType-centric instead of JCR-centric so that it is usable OOTB on external content sources?
Take a look at linked tickets on: MGNLUI-2542 - Getting issue details... STATUS
It would be useful to have a Super-link field where I have a first select box to choose a workspace "tours, pages, contacts", and then a link field below it that lets me choose an item from that workspace.
- populating select options based on the value of another field
- validating a field depending on the value of another field (including within a composite field itself)
- enabling/disabling fields conditionally
- updating form buttons (enabling/disabling/relabeling)
It would be good to ask a support representative:
Maybe Rich or Mercedes.