The goal of this grid is to understand what various people can do in Magnolia based on their knowledge and skills. This should help answer some important questions - and help us to understand which changes are most needed in Magnolia for our target developers for specific activities to work without obstacles.
- What does a person need to know in order to accomplish tasks?
- What should a person need to know to accomplish tasks?
- What can a person with certain skills be able to accomplish in Magnolia?
Some of these items are not a strict yes or no - but this matrix considers performing the task in a best-practice way:
- that the files & configuration live under custom modules
- They are under source control.
- The template scripts and resources can be overriden within AdminCentral apps.
- means NO, x means YES, New means New Capability.
(*) indicates that it is a New Capability because it can be stored in a module.
"Front-end Developer" is assumed not to know Java.
(Author in Admincentral)
|Front-end Developer||Java Developer|
|Setup a Magnolia Developer Environment (a la MVN & Eclipse)||-||-||x|
|Download and run a Tomcat Bundle||x||x||x|
|Create a page||x||x||x|
|Edit a page||x||x||x|
|Create a Magnolia module||-||New||x|
|Create a Magnolia module with Java classes||-||x||x|
|Create a template script||-||New*||x|
|Create a template definition||-||New*||x|
|Create a template model||-||New||x|
|Create a Java template model||-||-||x|
|Add & update a resource||-||New*||x|
|Extend Magnolia classes||-||-||x|
|Create a content app||-||New*||x|
|Extend an existing content app||-||New*||x|
|Create an app with a custom ui||-||-||x|
|Integrate 3rd party system via Java||-||-||x|